MaineStay Youth & Family Services
Secrets of Relationship Success Seminar
Wednesday, October 6, 2010 ~ 7:00 - 9:00 PM
Being in a romantic relationship can be challenging, but it can also be the most satisfying experience you will ever have. During this seminar, family therapist Richard Lyon, M.A., L.C.P.C., will discuss how you can enhance your ability to be successful in intimate relationships. Decades of research has clearly identified what people who succeed in relationships do differently than those who fail. Using this research, Richard will demonstrate effective ways of getting your partner to respond to your needs while avoiding common roadblocks such as criticism, blame, or anger. He will talk about key emotional habits we all need to develop in order to have healthy connections with others.
By attending this seminar you will learn...
- the research-based skills needed to increase your success in intimate relationships.
- how to respond effectively to the worst in your partner.
- the crucial difference between complaints, criticism, and contempt.
- how you can effectively utilize your power to influence your partner to change for the better.
- the important role that emotions, attitude, and non-verbal communication play in intimate relationships.
- how to navigate the inevitable differences between you and your partner and how these differences can even potentially strengthen your relationship.
Richard Lyon, a licensed clinical professional counselor with a master's degree in clinical psychology, works as a family therapist at MaineStay Youth and Family Services where he also supervises and trains intern therapists in the field of family therapy. Richard has taken several specialized trainings in couples therapy and bases his work with couples on Dr. John Gottman's research and Dr. Brent Atkinson's model of Pragmatic-Experiential Therapy for Couples. He is passionate about helping couples reconnect and improve the quality of their relationship.
- The early registration discount price for tickets purchased by September 28 is $5 per individual or couple.
- Tickets purchased after September 28 are $8 per individual or couple.
- Tickets sold at the door (space permitting) will be $8 per individual or couple.
- Two hours of continuing education units (CEUs) are available for an additional $5.
- Checks should be made payable to Maine Township.
- Some scholarships are available.
- The presention will be held at the Maine Township Town Hall, 1700 Ballard Road, Park Ridge.
- The doors will open at 6:30 PM. Please arrive early for best seating and musical selections.
- We cannot provide childcare at this event.