MaineStay Youth & Family Services
Secrets of Relationship Success Couples Workshop
Being in a committed relationship can certainly be a challenge, but it is well worth the effort. When difficulties or conflict arise in a relationship it can negatively impact our children, our health, and our outlook on life. Join us for a six-week journey to discover what it takes to make a relationship work. In this practical, information-packed course using a blend of seminar, video, and discussion, you'll learn how to strengthen and be more successful in your relationship.
Research conducted over the past four decades has clearly identified what people who succeed in relationships do differently than those who fail. Using this research, family therapist Richard Lyon, who has personally trained with couples relationship expert Dr. John Gottman, will demonstrate effective ways of getting your partner to respond to your needs while avoiding common roadblocks such as criticism, blame, or anger. He will talk about key emotional habits we all need to develop in order to have better communication and healthy connections with others.
By attending this workshop you will learn...
- the research-based skills needed to increase your success in relationships.
- how to respond effectively to the worst in your partner.
- the crucial difference between complaints, criticism, and contempt.
- how you can effectively utilize your power to influence your partner to change for the better.
- the important role that emotions, attitude, and non-verbal communication play in romantic relationships.
- how absence of conflict alone isn't enough to keep couples together.
- how to navigate the inevitable differences between you and your partner and how these differences can even potentially strengthen your relationship.
For more information or to sign up please contact Richard Lyon at or 847-297-2510 x258.
Comments from Past Workshop Participants
"Thank you again for the informative presentation. I wish it would have been mandatory for us to take this workshop before we were handed our marriage license; it would have saved us a lot of pain."
"That workshop was awesome and I learned so much about how to communicate better."
"I now have a better understanding of how to handle arguments."
"Great practicals and info. The exercises work."